Sunday Worship Service (Berdan->Sanctuary 10am)Back to all Events
- Date: April 14, 2019
- Time: 10:00am – 11:15am
This service starts in Berdan Hall, then processes to the Sanctuary . . .
PREAKNESS REFORMED CHURCH
WAYNE, NEW JERSEY
PALM SUNDAY AND PASSION SUNDAY
April 14, 2019 10:00 A.M.
Welcome to the Preakness Reformed Church!
“Christianity stands or falls with its revolutionary protest against violence, arbitrariness
and pride of power and with its plea for the weak. Christians are doing too little to make these points clear rather than too much.
Christendom adjusts itself far too easily to the worship of power.
Christians should give more offense, shock the world far more than they are doing now. Christians should take a stronger stand in favor of the weak rather than considering first the possible
right of the strong."
- from Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Sermon on II Corinthians 9
- Congregation standing, as able
Bold Text is spoken in unison by the congregation
JOINING TOGETHER FOR WORSHIP AND PRAISE
- WELCOME AND WORDS OF INSTRUCTION
- OPENING SENTENCES (Luke 19)
When Jesus had come near Bethphage and Bethany, at the place called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of the disciples, saying, "Go into the village ahead of you, and as you enter it you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden. Untie it and bring it here.”
Then they brought the colt to Jesus; and after throwing their cloaks on the colt, they set Jesus on it. As Jesus rode along, people kept spreading their cloaks on the road.
As Jesus was now approaching the path down from the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the deeds of power that they had seen, saying,
"Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest heaven!"
Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, order your disciples to stop." Jesus answered, "I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out.”
Today we join the parade, we join as disciples of Jesus and we do not stop. We shout
Hosanna in the Highest!
- OPENING SONG OF PRAISE Hosanna STARFIELD
I see the King of Glory I see a generation
Coming on the clouds with fire Rising up to take their place
The whole earth shakes With selfless faith
The whole earth shakes Selfless faith
I see His love and mercy I see a near revival
Washing over all our sin Stirring as we pray and seek
The people sing We’re on our knees
The people sing On our knees
Hosanna in the highest Heal my heart and make it clean
Hosanna, Hosanna Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Hosanna in the highest Show me how to love like You have loved me
Hosanna in the highest (x2)
- PALM SUNDAY PARADE
- PROCESSIONAL HYMN 146 All Glory, Laud, and Honor VALET WILL ICH DIR GEBEN
PALM SUNDAY MESSAGE WITH THE CHILDREN
(The children proceed back to Berdan Hall for the Seder Meal.)
REFLECTING ON GOD’S WORD
ANTHEM King Triumphant Ruth Elaine Schram
INTRODUCTION OF ROMAN TRIUMPHS
GOSPEL READING Mark 15:16-27 (pg. 53)
This is the Gospel of the Lord.
Praise to you, O Christ!
MESSAGE Life Together: Shared Ministry Pastor Eric Nichols
SOLO OF REFLECTION To Mock Your Reign, O Dear Lord (162) Dan King
RESPONDING TO GOD’S WORD
PRAYERS OF THANKSGIVING AND INTERCESSION ……concluding with the Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & OFFERTORY SENTENCES
Offertory Come, We Who Love the Lord L. Smith L. Smith
- OFFERING SONG Take My Life and Let It Be Chris Tomlin
Take my will and make it thine;
it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart it is thine own;
it shall be thy royal throne,
it shall be thy royal throne.
- RESPONSIVE CREED -Heidelberg Catechism, Q & A 31-32 (1563)
- Why is Jesus called "Christ," meaning "anointed"?
- Because Jesus has been ordained by God the Father, and has been anointed with the Holy Spirit, to be our chief prophet and teacher, who fully reveals to us the secret counsel and will of God concerning our deliverance; our only high priest, who has delivered us by the one sacrifice of his body, and who continually pleads our cause with the Father; and our eternal King who governs us by his Word and Spirit, and who guards us and keeps us in the freedom he has won for us.
- But why are you called a Christian?
- Because by faith I am a member of Christ and so I share in his anointing. I am anointed to confess his name, to present myself to him as a living sacrifice of thanks, to strive with a free conscience against sin and the devil in this life, and afterward to reign with Christ over all creation for eternity.
CLOSING HYMN When I Survey the Wondrous Cross HAMBURG (pages 5-6)
POSTLUDE Fanfares on “Easter Hymn” R. Lau
Preakness Reformed Church welcomes visitors and members to the warmth of our community!
Visitors are asked to fill out the “Welcome to Preakness” card found in the pews and place it in the offering plate.
Following the Worship Service, everyone is invited to enjoy fellowship and refreshment in Berdan Hall.
Assisting God’s people in worship this morning are, Pastor Eric Nichols, worship leader;
Reverend Mary L Marcus, liturgist; “Berdan Hall”: Ken Tanis, Mike O’Reilly; the Chancel Choir and Dan King, Director of Music Ministries.
Preakness Reformed Church – 131 Church Lane, Wayne NJ 07470